Saturday, December 17, 2011

On Steven Spielberg

Today I would like to thank my favourite filmmaker. He’s behind some of the most popular and critically acclaimed films of all time. But that’s not why I’m writing about him. My reasons are a tad more personal.

Through television Steven Spielberg has also been a huge influence on my development as a film enthusiast. To illustrate that fact, here’s my childhood as told through Spielberg’s films and productions.
‘Jaws’ is probably my earliest film memory. Somehow my parents thought a six-year-old could handle a movie about a man-eating shark. Turns out I couldn’t, instead it earned me my first film trauma. Baths, swimming pools and beaches became places of fear to little me. I saw myself in Robert Shaw’s place; being dragged into the depths by a Great White.

My second encounter with a Spielberg film didn’t end much better. The little pudgy bastard from ‘E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial’, while cute now, freaked me out. Everything about him made my skin crawl: the huge eyes, the long boney fingers and the raspy voice gave me many sleepless nights.

After those two dreadful experiences it could only get better. Fortunately it did with a Spielberg production that has become my favourite Christmas movie next to ‘It’s aWonderful Life’. A film that should have scared me but by some miracle didn’t. The same goes for ‘Jurassic Park’ which kick-started the dinosaur obsession that, I guess, every boy has to go through during his childhood.

The three ‘Back to the Future’ movies made me want to become an inventor; a profession which I’m yet to pursue. It wasn’t the only job I considered; archaeologist was another. To me Indiana Jones was far more interesting than any other boyhood idol. Sadly, I wouldn’t grow up to discover ancient artifacts, punching Nazis or saving damsels in distress. Those things, I realized, only happen in the movies.

When I was fifteen Spielberg released his adaptation of ‘War of the Worlds’. This film cemented my fascination with his work and films in general. Learning about how movies got made became my hobby. I began to look at films in a different way. In that respect I believe Steven Spielberg’s filmography is a perfect entry point for anyone who is interested in moviemaking.  

Over the years my interest in his work hasn’t faded. True, he is one of the men responsible for the empty-headed ‘Transformers’ franchise. But with a career that spans over four decades he’s earned some leeway. Many of his productions and directorial efforts are well worth the ticket. Whatever way you look at it, Spielberg’s career remains a rewarding one to follow.   

1 comment: